How you can set up your energy for the first time

How you can set up your energy for the first time

Besides picking out a new home, packing your belongings, and hiring a moving company, there are a couple of other things that you need to do. Just like furniture and boxes, you should remember that you also have to bring gas and electricity in a new home.

And, forgetting to cancel, transfer, or turn on energy can leave you with a lot of stress or even some expensive past energy bills. You just need to make a few calls and a bit of organization to efficiently and quickly set up an energy contract. This page discusses how you can set up your energy for the first time.

Find out the potential energy suppliers in your new area

If you are moving into another house, it’s easy to forget about the energy supply considering that there is always a lot of excitement. But it’s important to sort it out quickly.

The first thing you need to do is to find out the energy supplier who provides the electricity and gas in your new home. The best you can do this is by finding out from the previous owners, developer, or tenants.
Additionally, make an effort to search for ways to locate the finest available alternatives and the most affordable electricity rates in Dallas.

If the people or person who lived in the house before contacted the energy supplier to notify them about the move, then there is a good chance that you can also send a letter addressed to the person occupying the house when you move in. In this way, you can have all the information you want about your electricity and gas.

Find your electricity and gas meters

During the house-moving process, the previous owners or letting agent can show you the location of the meters. But if they can’t because of other reasons, it’s likely that the meters can be in the hallway, kitchen, or even meter box that can be outside your new home.

If your house happens to be on a new housing estate, then the developer can direct you to the location of the meters. There are usually two types of meters. One of them is called a standard credit meter which can show numbers in digital or dial form. With this type of meter, you can decide to pay your energy bill either monthly or quarterly.

Another type is known as a prepayment meter. This is a pay-as-you-go meter, which you can usually rent in rental properties. It allows you to pay in advance for your energy. You can do this by inserting a smart card or key or even money to top up your energy.

Take a meter reading

On the day you decide to move, you need to take meter readings, especially if you have credit meters and send them to your energy supplier where they can create an energy account. By doing this, you can avoid being charged for energy that the previous occupants used.

If you are elderly or disabled and you are finding it hard to read the meter, then make sure that you call your energy supplier so that they can send a person to read it on your behalf. It’s also worth asking the energy supplier if they offer priority services, which can sometimes be a free service that provides prioritized help for clients in need.

You need to send meter readings each month so that your energy bills can be accurate. But if you have a smart meter in your new home, it can automatically submit the meter readings to the energy supplier, so you don’t need to do anything.

Find the trip switch and fuse box

You also need to know the location of the trip switch in your new home in case electricity goes off. A sudden power cut can come due to an electrical surge or even a faulty appliance.

The trip switch can be found near or on the fuse box that is usually about three meters from your electrical meter. Therefore, if you spare some time to find it on the day you decide to relocate, you can save yourself from staying in the dark while attempting to figure out where it is located if the electricity goes out.

Find your meter number

Both electricity and gas meters feature a supply number that is unique to your house. Ideally, you must have these meter numbers if you want to contact your energy supplier so that they can create your energy account. This is especially true if you are relocating to your new home.

The gas supply meter number can be between six and 10 numbers long. This number is usually on the energy bill. But if you don’t have an energy bill, then you can ask the utility provider to give you the meter number.

Likewise, the electricity supply also has a supply number which is usually 21 digits long. You can also find this number on your energy bill or get in touch with the utility provider if you can find it on your energy bill.

Contact your new energy supplier

If you choose to contact the energy suppliers for the first time, then consider doing it right away after moving into your new house. They can help you to set up a new energy account on your behalf and even answer any of your questions.

Besides helping you not to carry the previous energy debts of the other occupant, you can use an energy bill that is in your name as proof of address while setting up a new bank account.

You should also contact your energy supplier when your new house has a prepayment meter rather than a standard credit meter. A standard credit meter allows you to pay using direct debits and offers your better energy deals.

Lastly, once the previous homeowner gets out of the house, the energy supplier can automatically transfer you to the current energy standard tariff so that the energy supply is not disturbed. In most cases, this standard energy tariff can end up being one of the most expensive energy plans. Therefore, when you get the first energy bill, you can end up paying more than you expected on the energy.

Dani Khan